Call for Poster Abstracts
National Nursing Ethics ConferenceThursday, March 8 & Friday, March 9, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Shaping an Ethical Environment is the theme for the 5th Ethics of Caring National Nursing Ethics Conference (NNEC). Nurses are actively engaged in influencing the processes and actions that create ethical environments and directly impact the nurse, the delivery of care, interprofessional collaboration and ultimately, patient outcomes. Recognizing that nurses' voices are required to participate in shaping those environments, the conference will emphasize the development of skills needed to manage ethical dilemmas and to enhance practice and leadership.
Over the course of this two-day immersive and interactive journey, a variety of influences on and in the healthcare environment will be explored that can affect the nurse's actions and efforts to do the right thing for the right reasons.
The first day will examine The Difference We Each Can Be and Make and how to maintain balance and resiliency in the process. The issues that will be covered include ways of improving the ethical culture through a concept of precision nursing, speaking up and the power of narratives. The second day will focus on Navigating Ethical Challenges. The emphasis will be on identifying ways to support the highest professional standards of nursing practice and ethically grounded care in situations that challenge one's values and core beliefs. Some of the topics to be addressed include care of the seriously ill and dying, assisted suicide, dementia, decision making, and challenges related to innovative treatment and technology. Poster sessions will highlight research and innovation in the field. Case presentations and breakouts will engage discussion. Colleagues are encouraged to bring their experiences, expertise, challenges and voices to enrich the dialogue. Patients, families, and healthcare professionals thrive when there is a strong ethical environment. With skill and collaboration nurses can help make that happen.
By the end of the conference, participants will be able to:
- Explore methods to maintain balance and resiliency as practicing nurses in healthcare.
- Describe concrete ways to speak up individually and collectively as a profession to create an ethical environment.
- Value the power of narratives in articulating the challenges associated with shaping the ethical environment in healthcare.
- Identify actions that support the professional standards of nursing and ethically-grounded care.
- Reflect on known and emerging ethical challenges such as end-of-life care, assisted suicide, and the introduction of innovative therapies and technology.